As some of you may know, my sister Sharon had been engaged to her boyfriend Jonathan for some months. Yesterday saw the progression to the next phase of their relationship – marriage.

The day went quite smoothly, although it was a little disappointing that it rained. Fortunately, there were contingency plans in place if the weather proved unsuitable for the planned garden wedding. Some 140 odd guests showed up to share the happy occasion – a number of whom I knew, many I did not.

Sharon, of course, looked absolutely beautiful in her long, flowing, white wedding dress, and her two bridesmaids looked equally stunning in two shades of pink. The groom and his groomsmen wore black tuxedos.

Residing in the same house as the bride finally had an advantage – I was fortunate enough to witness (some of) the secret inner workings of beautification that goes before a wedding. Actually, about the only inner workings I saw was the application of make up. But it was interesting nonetheless.

I arrived at the wedding venue long before other guests – I had to prepare the necessary equipment for playing the requested walking-down-the-aisle music, as well as concluding music. One of the main positives resulting from the rain was the ability to use a gorgeous white baby grand piano, in stark contrast to the electronic keyboard that would have been utilised outdoors.

The wedding ceremony went smoothly, and the reception was great too. The food was delicious, and I got a chance to catch up with a number of people I rarely get to see. In between the ceremony and the reception came great multitudes of photos. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to take many photos at this time, being occupied organising other people, and even being in a few of the photos myself. The photos I did manage to take will be in my photo gallery after I get a chance to post-process them.

The official photographers were my uncle; the husband of my cousin; plus another person from New Zealand.  There were many, many other people there with cameras (I wouldn’t deign to call them photographers). The customary kiss after the exchanging of rings was bathed in a brilliant sea of camera flashes, barely a single film camera among them.  My uncle has shot quite a number of weddings in his time – I’m quite keen to see the resultant artwork.

Following the reception, there was more of a chance to catch up with people I rarely get to see. As with most good things, however, this opportunity was all too brief. After saying goodbye tonight to the last of the interstate visitors prior to their departure, I suddenly feel very lonely. It’s been so awesome to see so many people and have a chat and a few laughs, and even play a few fun games.

But now it is all over – the preparation and buildup of the last six or so months, the culmination of those plans yesterday, and the fleeting chances to cram in years worth of each other’s lives in a few short conversations. Oh how I wish it could have lasted longer. Bring back the seven day wedding feasts I say. At least then I would have had a chance to become thoroughly reacquainted with the many people so dear to my heart yet so far away.